Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

It's not quite the end of the world...........................



Last year I was here. It was January, and before the expedition ship upped anchor and sailed away from Argentina, I was literally standing at the end of the world here in the beautiful 'Fin del Mundo' - Tierra del Fuego National Park. No still, dappled and shimmering pond such as where I walked in my last post. The huge and heaving Southern Ocean awaited beyond the shore and the Beagle Channel, ready to transport us to places seen by few. It was so peaceful here and on the lands visited beyond South America - The Falkland Islands, South Georgia Island, and eventually Antarctica. Time stood still and I felt at peace away from the normal world.



Week before last, this January, I experienced another 'end of the world' moment, but it wasn't peaceful. My entire iPhoto library on this MacBook was accidentally deleted. Fortunately I had backed up all travel pictures through last October (not including the trip to Central Europe though, darn it!), but not a lot of other pics which I'm going to miss. Yes, they're gone forever as after a week with a very nice certified Apple techie, the news yesterday was "sorry Mary, they are unrecoverable". Collecting my Mac - and having the tech guy set me up with a portable backup system to ensure this doesn't occur again - was not unpleasant as everyone at the business was so accommodating. In case you ever need recovery assistance with an Apple computer - and I hope you don't - know that they do not offer that service at the Genius Bar, you either have to buy a program and try to do it yourself, or take it to a certified technician as I opted to do.

It's NOT quite the end of the world though. Fortunately lots of the lost photos have been posted on my blog, and thankfully many are in the PicMonkey file where I edited such pics - these I can always find again. This was a learning curve, and made me realize one can never be too careful when it comes to saving precious photos if you are a digital photographer who stores them on your computer........and erases your camera cards as I do when traveling and taking literally thousands of photos!

So I'm back in the saddle so to speak - using my MacBook and planning to be more diligent in 'housekeeping' here. Technology is complicated, my generation often finds it hard to master, it moves much too fast and our older brains can't keep up, well OURS here in a certain cottage can't, how about you?


Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar